Differences Between Linux and Windows Containers
- They can run on any distribution of docker.
Windows Server Containers
- Will not run on different version of an OS
- Bigger than linux containers
- Contains windows API and .Net Framework
- Preloaded on Azure VM’s
- Based on Hyper-V Virtual Machines
- Highly Optimized
- Allow older images to work on newer version of Windows
- Resource utilization worse than windows server containers
Use Cases for Windows Containers
Build Environments Migrating legacy application Upgrading Windows-native applications Running Supportive infrasturcture
Everything that may require complex setup can be preconfigured as a container.
Docker Distributions for Windows
Docker Toolbox Docker in WSL2 Docker Desktop Docker Engine Enterprise (Docker EE) for Production use.