Analysis of Algorithems
We will measure algorithms in terms of the amount of computational resources that the algorithm requires.
- These resources include mostly running time and memory.
- Number disk accesses in a database program.
- Communication bandwidth in a networking application.
Extra Things to Consider During Design of Algorithms
- Ease of debugging and maintaining the final software through its life-cycle
- It is often necessary to design algorithms that are simple, and easily modified if problem parameters and specifications are slightly modified.
Our analysis will be as independent as possible of the variations in machine, operating system, compiler, or programming language. We will call this mathematical model of computation, a random access machine or RAM.